Wednesday 8 February 2012

I've suffered from anxiety and panic attacks for roughly 10 years. I haven't taken any medication for it, I was prescribed Citalopram/Celexa but declined as I thought I was able to manage it on my own. I do have times when I struggle but I've found techniques that help me through. Here are some things that have helped me.


1: Get fully checked out by your Doctor. I have been regularly checked out by my doctor and all tests are normal. This is important, especially if like me you have hypochondriac tendencies. You need to keep reminding yourself of this fact.


2: BREATHE with anxiety and panic we often find that we aren't breathing properly. That leads to symptoms, that lead to panic and the whole cycle continues. Find a good breathing technique that works for you. Always make sure you belly breathe. Some great ones here http://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/treatment/breathing-exercises


3: Keeping busy. Total mental distraction. Find a hobby, something you love that takes your mind away from you. Painting, photography, knitting, fishing, writing, crossword puzzles, cooking.. anything as long as you enjoy it and it takes your thoughts outside of yourself.


4: Eat well and get as much sleep as you can. A good balanced diet and sleep is important. Anxiety and panic is exhausting. If you're getting a good supply of nutrients and plenty of rest you are preparing your mind and body in the best way possible. Plus it helps to know you are looking after yourself the best you can too.


5: Exercise!! Exercise Exercise Exercise. I can't stress how good exercise is for anxiety. Gentle, not anything too intense. A nice walk a day, kicking a ball around in the park, swimming. It will do nothing but good for your anxiety. Good chemicals go to your brain replacing all those negative ones. It tires you out so you are able to sleep, and you feel so much better physically and mentally after you have done some exercise. 


And 2 other things that have helped me incredibly. 


Take 30 minutes a day for YOU. if you have a busy life, a stressful life take 30 minutes of 'me time' every day. And do something that relaxes you. I would run a bath, pour lavendar oil in, light some candles, put my ipod on and just lay in the warm water and relax.


Knowing you are not alone!! I found people online that I relate to, some have become great lifelong friends. Don't suffer alone, you are not alone. Sharing how you feel, having somebody else have that crazy scary symptom? It's been so much help to me and one of the reasons I started my own support site.


I hope you find this of some help http://www.anxiety-central.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment